Update: The fee for the Massachusetts Medical Marijuana System Registration is $50.00 Per Year! Not a one time fee for the card that is good for 3 years. Patients must re register every year. You may or may not need to have your doctor update your information on there end. Read more at Renewing Your Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Card
As of February 1, 2015 the process of registering for Medical Use of Marijuana Program in Massachusetts must be completed through the States website. If you are a existing patient the Doctors referral you received will no longer be valid. This could put you at risk of arrest.
The States instructions for the online registration are very precise. It is extremely important that MMJ patients read and follow the step by step instructions.
For existing referral holders the first step is to call your Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Doctor. They will register your patient ID number with the State. You will then receive a email from the Health and Human Services containing your state registration number. Save this email for your records.
New patients seeking a MA Medical Marijuana Card:
First make an appointment with your Marijuana Doctor or approved health care provider in order to begin the registration process. Your provider will evaluate you for Medical Marijuana Conditions Being Treated and determine if you are qualified for the medical use of marijuana. If you are qualified, your provider will issue you a certification through the MMJ Online System.
Once your health care provider has issued you a certification, your provider will give you instructions on how to register through the MMJ Online System and your registration number. This registration number is required for you to register in the MMJ Online System.
If your registration is approved by the Program, you will receive a Medical Use of Marijuana Program ID card.
Once your health care provider has certified you for the medical use of marijuana. Registering online with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program is the fastest and most convenient way to register to possess marijuana for medical purposes. You can call a have the paper documents sent to you, but this is much more time consuming. Medical Marijuana application forms ma. must be accompanied with the same documentation as the online system does.
Be sure and read the following instructions before you begin the patient registration process in the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System (MMJ Online System).
Getting Prepared for MMJ Registration In Mass.
First, in order to register as a patient in the MMJ Online System you will need the following:
* Internet access;
* Access to a scanner, mobile scanning software, or pre-scanned digital copies of the documents (as explained below);
* A printer;
* Your registration number as given to you by your health care provider after they have issued you a certification;
* A valid form of identification (as explained below);
* A photograph of yourself (as explained below); and
* A form of payment, or proof of verified financial hardship (as explained below).
Next, scan and save onto your computer:
* the valid form of identification; and
* the photograph of yourself.
If applying for a registration fee waiver (as explained below), also scan and save onto your computer the proof of verified financial hardship (as explained below).
These documents will be uploaded to the MMJ Online System during the patient registration process.
Valid Form of Identification for MMJ
Valid forms of identification include:
* Massachusetts driver’s license;
* Massachusetts ID card (with a photograph of yourself);
* US passport AND another document that proves your Massachusetts residence; or
* US military ID AND another document that proves your Massachusetts residence.
The address you enter in the MMJ Online System must match the address on your Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card. If you are using a passport or military ID, the address you enter must match your proof of residency that you submit.
Proof of Massachusetts residence may include, but is not limited to:
* A utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, or heating oil), that is less than 60 days old and must contain your name and address;
* Your current Massachusetts motor vehicle registration card with your current address;
* Tuition bill with a due date of less than 6 months ago and addressed to your current address;
* Car insurance policy or bill that is dated less than 60 days old;
* Home mortgage, lease or loan contracts dated within 6 months of today with your name, address and signature;
* Original or certified copy of a U.S. Marriage Certificate dated within the past 6 months;
* A property tax or excise tax bill for the current year with your name and address;
* First-class mail dated less than 60 days old from any federal or state agency that displays your name and address; or
* Current Massachusetts -issued Professional License with your address.
Photograph of Yourself For MMJ Registration
This photo will be placed on your Program ID card.
Your photo should be:
* Uploaded as a square photo in portrait/upright format;
* Should only include the top of your shoulders and your head;
* Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background;
* Taken within the last 6 months to reflect what you look like now;
* Taken without smiling and with both eyes open with no eyewear; and
* Taken looking directly at the camera held at eye level;
* Taken in clothing that you normally wear (for example, no clothing item that covers your face or head, except for religious purposes).
Please ensure that your photo is in .jpg format with a maximum size of 2 MB.
Form of Payment for MMJ Card In MA.
There is a $50 fee to complete a patient registration.
Acceptable forms of payment include:
* Credit card;
* Debit card;
* Bank account number and bank routing number; or
* If you are registering with paper forms, a check or money order payable to ?The Commonwealth of Massachusetts?. Your check or money order must be included with the paper registration forms.
Medical Marijuana Fee Waiver
If you have a verified financial hardship, you may be qualified for a registration fee waiver. You are considered to have a verified financial hardship if you are a recipient of MassHealth, or Supplemental Security Income, or your household income does not exceed 300% of the federal poverty level. In order to apply for a registration fee waiver, you must submit proof of verified financial hardship for your family size.
You will also need to meet the following criteria when applying for hardship cultivation certificate. A $100.00 fee is required for cannabis cultivation.
Proof of verified financial hardship includes the following:
* MassHealth card issued by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts;
* Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit verification letter;
* State or federal tax return from this year or last year; or
* SNAP Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) statement from the current year;
Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Registration Process
Now that you have been provided with a certification from a qualified health provider and gathered the necessary documents, you may begin the online patient registration process.
You will be sent several emails during the registration process. Each email will have instructions on how to complete the next step. Please note that the links may expire as soon as seven (7) days after being emailed to you and some links are valid only the first time that you click on the link.
The MMJ Online System times out after 30 minutes. If you would like to take a break during the registration process, a good stopping point is right after you receive a confirmation e-mail and before you click the link in the confirmation e-mail to start the next step of the registration process.
In order to register, please follow these steps:
* Step 1: Visit the website of the Virtual Gateway at: https://gateway.hhs.state.ma.us/authn/selfReg.do
* Step 2: Once you are on the home page of the Virtual Gateway, fill out the requested information and click on “Medical Use of Marijuana System” next to ?Service Name.?
* Step 3: Follow the instructions sent to you via email and in the Medical Use of Marijuana MMJ Online System.
* Step 4: Once your registration is reviewed by the Department, you will be notified by email regarding the status of your registration. Registrations are processed in the order they are received. If approved, you will be able to print your paper Program ID card and will receive your plastic Program ID card at a later date.
Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Program ID Card
You must have your Program ID card as well as the valid form of identification that you used to register in the MMJ Online System at all times when you possess or handle marijuana for medical use.
There is a $10 fee to replace a lost Program ID card.
SELECTING A PERSONAL CAREGIVER
After you have registered with the MMJ Online System and your registration has been approved by the Medical Use of Marijuana Program, you may log back into the MMJ Online System and will have the option to select a personal caregiver. A personal caregiver is someone who may assist you with your medical use of marijuana.
You may designate up to two caregivers who are not currently designated by another patient, unless that caregiver is your immediate family member.
You may designate up to two caregivers. Those caregivers cannot be currently designated by another patient, unless that caregiver is your immediate family member. In order to designate a personal caregiver you will need to generate a pin, provide the pin to your caregiver, and tell them to register in the system. Please note that you may also select a caregiver at any time after completing your patient registration.If you wish to select a caregiver after completing your patient registration, please follow these steps:
* Step 1: Log into your account on the MMJ Online System.
* Step 2: Click on “My Caregivers” to generate a pin for your caregiver. Provide your caregiver with the pin.
* Step 3: Inform your caregiver that he or she must register as a caregiver via the Virtual Gateway at https://gateway.hhs.state.ma.us/authn/selfReg.do
* Step 4: After your caregiver has registered, click on the link ?My Caregivers? at the top of the page and follow the instructions to approve your caregiver.
Once you have completed all these steps the Medical Use of Marijuana Program will send you your Medical Marijuana card. Patients should continue to log in and monitor the programs changes.
If you’d like you can download the states see Step By Step Guide To Register For Medical Use of Marijuana Program in Massachusetts